General description: The project aims to increase resilience to climate vulnerability and change of communities in the Pyanj River Basin. The Project has four components:
(i) more resilient flood protection systems comprising rehabilitation of small scale flood management infrastructure, and capacity building of disaster management committees; (ii) more resilient irrigation systems comprising rehabilitation of small scale irrigation infrastructure, and capacity building of water user associations; (iii) more resilient drinking water supply systems comprising rehabilitation of drinking water supply infrastructure in highly vulnerable communities, and capacity development of water consumer groups; and (iv) a microfinance component to provide financial services to vulnerable groups, especially women, and promote climate resilience.
ADB has established the ADB Strategic Climate Fund to receive, hold in trust and administer SCF resources; it has been resolved that the SCF will extend a grant, administered by ADB, for the purposes of financing expenditures under the Project.
The Grant Agreement between Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and Asian Development Bank was signed 18 September 2013 and on 22 January 2014 approved by Parliament of the Republic of Tajikistan with Ratification No1407
Description of the Project
The objective of the Project is the reduction of adverse effects of climate variability and climate change in the Pyanj River Basin.
The Project comprise of the following components:
Component 1 – Flood Protection
- Rehabilitation, upgrading and construction of flood and mud-flow protection infrastructure in the Pyanj River Basin.
- Provision of capacity building for local ALRI officers, communities and disaster risk management committees in the areas of flood protection infrastructure maintenance, early flood warning communication, disaster risk management and adaption to the adverse impacts of climate change.
Component 2 - Irrigation
- Rehabilitation, upgrading and construction of irrigation canals and network systems in the Pyanj River Basin.
- Piloting of a drip irrigation scheme in the Pyanj River Basin.
- Provision of capacity building for local ALRI officers and communities in the areas of water resources management and climate resilient agricultural practices and to strengthen water user associations (WUA).