RU 2 - BARUSHAN, RUSHAN: Irrigation and Flood Protection
Approximately 200 ha of land in Dodhudoev (Barushan) Jamoat was reclaimed from the Pyanj River during the Soviet period. The land relies heavily on effective drainage as it is at the same level as the river, or lower during times of high flow. Drainage is by way of a system of collector channels which discharge to the river by pumping. The collectors are heavily silted and the land has become water logged resulting in poor agricultural output.
The embankment that separates the agricultural land from the river is breached for a length of 150 m rendering some 100 ha at high risk of flooding.
Cleaning of the collector-drainage network and bank protection works in the Pyanj River, Barushan Jamoat, Rushan District
- Cleaning of collector-drainage network – 6 km
- Reconstruction of flood protection embankment for a distance of 150 m
- Procurement of 1 bulldozer for on-going maintenance of the embankment
- Provision of capacity building, training and agricultural extension services to the water users‟ association “Chilten”.
- Decrease of ground water level and improvement of drainage
- Protection of irrigated lands from flooding - 100 ha
- Increase in crop yield – 180 ha